Saturday, February 05, 2005

Notes from the Road - Day 7

2/5/04 9:45pm Bozeman, MT

Another slow day in a small town. Jack was sick, so Nicole drove into town to pick him up ahead of me when I went to meet Mark for lunch. Mark’s friend Bob went with us to a Chinese place. Bob worked for the CIA under George H.W. Bush and said he was a good leader who treated his people right. He also repeatedly said George W. Bush is a moron, making us kindred spirits. Mark commented that people he knows are afraid to criticize the president in certain circles, which reflects how this administration punishes dissenters, cultivating fear and a “Yes, sir” environment that led to the faulty WMD intelligence that led to the war in Iraq. Bob was also very knowledgeable about Yellowstone, where I’ll be heading tomorrow.

After lunch, I went to the Pioneer Museum, which is located in what used to be the town jail until 1982. There was a gallows inside that was unlike any I’d seen before. Only one man was ever executed there, and his was a sordid tale.

When I came out to leave, I found I’d received a parking ticket for being in the yellow area surrounding a fire hydrant. I looked at the curb, and I was not in the yellow area. Rather than spend time fighting it or paying the $15.00, I just threw it away. I figure the likelihood that they would track me down for that is exceedingly slim. (Author’s note: They did track me down, by mail, so I paid the $15.00. Now I wish I’d fought it while I was there, but it probably wouldn’t have been worth the headache.)

We had grilled salmon for dinner, much better than the only other time I had it, which was the Super Bowl party in Austin a couple years ago. This was the first time the five of us ate together since I got here. It’s interesting how much I see my own behavior reflected in Noah, like reading a book at the table before supper. I understand a little better now how that must’ve made my parents feel.

After supper, I went to see 21 Grams with Nicole, while Mark stayed with the kids. Unexpectedly, I’ve connected more with her on this visit than I have with him. This is partly because he works all day while she’s home, partly because they go to bed at 9:00pm, but mostly because Mark seems to be a very quiet, reserved person. I myself have been described in similar terms by those I haven’t gotten close to. I wonder what facilitates the change in a relationship that allows us to open up.

No comments: