Friday, February 23, 2007

Getting dirty

There are times I think my judgment is already fading fast. Not that I've ever been King Solomon, but then I've never been Pee Wee Herman either. Today, I changed the oil in my car by myself for the first time in about eight years. At one point I was using my foot to drag the plastic oil pan toward me so I could try to wedge it under the car and catch the oil running down my arm. Not only did I get oil all over the floor of the garage, but also all over myself, my tools, and my car.

I realize I'm not much of a car guy. I can't even tell most cars apart on the road. But my dad made sure to teach me some simple car maintenance, like rotating tires and checking and changing the oil. He's a phenomenal mechanic, and has been since long before I was born. If it has an engine, he can make it run. Since I left Indiana, I've missed his expertise many times.

In case you're wondering, the order is:
1) run the car a few minutes so the oil is warm and runny
2) drain the reservoir
3) remove the filter
4) replace the filter after rubbing a little oil around the rubber seal
5) replace the bolt to seal the reservoir
6) pour the oil into the engine
7) run the car a few seconds
8) check the level
9) clean up the mess

No comments: