Sunday, October 09, 2005

Latest entertainments

I went and saw Tim Burton's Corpse Bride last week, pretty interesting flick. It's apparently loosely based on a Russian folk tale, but I would have to agree with some of the reviews that characterized it as "thin". Nobody but Burton would have ever made this movie, but I wonder how it might have turned out in the hands of, say, Pixar. The craftsmanship in the models was very impressive, but the acting didn't seem to be big enough, at least for the main characters, to match the performances the animators managed to achieve. The Nightmare Before Christmas was better all around.

Last night, I picked up a DVD of the Black Keys performing live in Sydney, Australia. I had to find something they put out, and I picked the DVD because 1) it was cheap, maybe less than one of their albums, 2) it may have been seeing them on stage that got me so excited about their music, and 3) I tend not to listen to blues on the radio or even CD, and I'm not sure why.

No comments: