Saturday, December 09, 2006

Who finishes first?

I’ve been told by many people, under various circumstances, that I’m a “nice guy”, but an incident this week bears repeating. I’ve recently been thinking that when a prospective romantic interest tells you this, he or she (as this undoubtedly happens to women as well as men) is not just seeking to spare your feelings, but also his or her own. Rather than tell someone “I’m just not attracted to you” or “I find you boring,” which may be just as accurate, saying “I think you’re really nice” spares one the discomfort of having caused someone else disappointment.

But it doesn’t really. The other person is still disappointed – it’s just the romantic interest who gets to feel off the hook, at least to some extent. Wanting to spare someone else’s feelings is an admirable goal, provided not giving the real reason doesn’t do the other person a disservice. Wanting to spare your own, while perfectly understandable, is somewhat less than noble if you could provide insight on what the asker could do to improve his or her chances in the future. But who wants to do that, and why should they be expected to? They didn't ask for the question (presumably).

Then there’s the whole “nice guys finish last” maxim. On a Simpsons commentary track for a season 8 episode in which Lisa falls for the bully Nelson, who’s stolen a hood ornament, one of the writers gives his advice on getting the girl. If you have the chance, “steal the hood ornament,” because otherwise “you’ll end up someone’s second husband.” Leaving aside the +50% divorce rate after five years in this country, is being someone’s second spouse such a bad thing? Does it imply, as he indicates, that one has failed to attract a more desirable person? What happened to the idea of falling in love, and that being what matters? My mother is my father’s second wife, and they’ve been married 34 years.

Anyway, ponder if you will: a married, older woman says to me, “You know, you’re a really nice guy. Has anyone ever told you that?” I replied yes, but it doesn’t always seem to be a good thing for some reason. She tells me one of her relatives was a nice guy, and he ended up marrying a very overweight woman her family disapproved of. When asked why he would want to marry her when he could do so much better, he apparently told her “I know she loves me, and I may never find that again. I just don’t want to end up alone.”

I can’t help but wonder what I was meant to take away from this exchange, if anything at all. To be clear, she disapproved of this, but was it because her relative didn’t return that love, or because she thought he should have held out for something better? Or, as I took it, was it because he was too much of a “nice guy”? The criticism seems to be, if you were more of a jerk you could do better with women and get what you want (because everyone knows women love jerks). So my question is, how much of a jerk would she have me be? Is 10% less helpful and kind enough? 20%? Shall I blow off everybody for an hour a day, or just a few people all day long?

All I know to do is be myself, and try to be good person. If anyone has any other advice, I’d love to hear it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I have no clue. All I know is that women want what they can't have. So, when a guy ignores them, perhaps it kicks that into motion, where they want the "jerk" more because he seems to not really want or need her. Not sure, but it's the only explanation I could think of!
Ramzi

carrie said...

One woman’s take on the “nice guy” argument -

Well, there are nice guys and there are "nice guys". Any guy wondering which he is should check out this selection of information about "nice guys". Real nice guys might not feel they're getting as many dates as they should, but they should end up in good, stable, healthy relationships when they do pair up because real nice girls want to be treated well.

As long as we're talking about adult, mature, mentally stable women, I disagree with it being about wanting something you can't have. I think that the reason most nice guys have trouble is that they lack (or seem to lack) self-confidence. It's sexy when a guy is sure he's worth your time and he’s self-assured enough to ask you out and confident enough to accept it gracefully if you say ‘no’ to that date or to future dates. And sometimes we realize later that we mistook arrogance for self-confidence and then we cut it off, but I guess those few dates could reinforce the ‘we date jerks’ stereotype 

So DB, I wouldn’t recommend being a jerk to get more dates, because I don’t think you’d be happy with who you end up with. And I’d try not to blame a lack of dates on being nice because getting bitter about being nice will certainly turn you into a “nice guy”. In all probability all your lack of a relationship means is that you just haven’t found the person you fit with yet.

Anonymous said...

I guess there are a lot of women that aren't mature...so many just don't seem to know what they want.

There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance...it can take a woman several boyfriends before she realizes that.
Ramzi