Thursday, January 25, 2007

Putting it down

I finished reading Notes from Underground a couple days ago, and I can't really recommend this book to anyone. It was relentlessly depressing from beginning to end. I've actually read two other books from start to finish since I started it. I honestly knew nothing about it before I picked it up, and what I thought I knew was wrong. It's all about a Russian who hates himself and everyone else, told from his perspective as he tries to bring everyone around him down to his level and fails. If that sounds like a gripping read, go ahead and try it along with a couple anti-depressants. At least it's short, not that it helped me. If this had been a long book I would have abandoned it, which I almost never do.

In happier news, I have my first (used) laptop to play with. So old it can't run Windows XP! 128 megs of RAM! One USB port! CD-Rom only! Totally worth the asking price, which was "Get it out of here"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember the premise being a reminiscense of Dostoyevsky's experiences after being imprisoned in the 1880s. Nonetheless, that whole episode o\in Revolutionary Russia produced some amazing writings. I need to read Notes.

RadioMike