Monday, September 26, 2005

Dear God, it was hot

Went to ACL Fest yesterday, and for the first time we almost left mid-afternoon because we weren't having any fun. I found out today, the high temperature recorded yesterday was 108 degrees. It was so hot I started feeling a little nauseous, and I had to sit in the cooler SBC tent for about 40 minutes with one of those little spray fans to cool off. The last four or five hours was a much better time, as the sun went down and the music heated up.

Around 5:30pm, there was a dust cloud beginning to rise from all the people criss-crossing the park and the fact that we haven't seen any rain to speak of in the last month or so. All the grass was dead, where there was any at all, and the dirt was very fine. Apparently this was a problem all three days but I hadn't heard about it, so when people started donning surgical masks it was a bit of a surprise. Some people were just wearing bandannas over their faces, but one guy we saw actually had a box of masks he was handing out, if you can believe it.

The big surprise for me this year was the Black Keys, who put on a scorching blues rock set. This was one of the greatest live performances I've ever witnessed. They're from Akron, OH, up near Cleveland I think, and they blew me away. Two guys, singer-guitarist and drummer.

Next year, I'm thinking about getting a three-day pass so I can leave and come back, which you can't do with a one-day pass. Then, if they predicted this kind of heat, I could wait until late afternoon each day to go out, or go early, leave for the hottest part of the afternoon, then come back in the evening.

No comments: