Monday, February 27, 2006

Getting Lost

In the last week, I watched the entire first season of Lost on dvd. I'd thought I stopped catching it consistently at about the halfway mark, but the fact was I'd seen all or most of every episode but the last four and one or two others. Makes me wish I'd kept up with it so I could've watched this season, but I figure they'll be releasing it on dvd soon after they air the season finale in May.

One thing that surprises me about watching it all at once like I did is how complex the characterization can be so quickly. One example would be Kate, the standout Canadian (both the character and actress). It's clear the writers want Kate to be a hero to the audience, and maybe they even consider her noble on some level, though I've yet to see much reason why. Personally, I find her more interesting as a villain, and I hope the show comes around on this point, because Evangeline Lilly is a fantastic actress, and behind her smiles I always detect a hint of deception.

And how ballsy was it to make Sayid ex-Republican Guard? Or Charlie a functioning heroin addict? This show definitely deserves the kudos directed its way.

No comments: