Saturday, January 03, 2009

The End of History?

Well, so much for posting on a more regular basis. The list of things that have happened in the last seven months that failed to prompt me to write has been pretty stunning. Both personal and worldwide events have made me think, "I should write a post about that", only to be followed by, "I'll get around to it later."

Maybe the most significant is also the most obvious: Barack Obama is going to the White House. The event that finally made me to decide to start this blog was the re-election of Bush in 2004. I'd been following the race closely, and was deeply disturbed that so many of my fellow Americans believed this man was the one to guide us through such troubled times, both foreign and domestic. I have not been happy to have been proven correct in my beliefs that Bush was both incompetent and uninterested in his own Presidency, beyond the power it gave him.

We have a fresh start coming in a couple of weeks, and yet the next President will face the most difficult challenges since World War II, at least. It's hard to comprehend how much will have to be done to prevent things from getting any worse, much less improve them, but there are bright spots to be seen. In college, I read a book called The End of History. Can you imagine?

In other news, I'll be getting married this year, and traveling back to Australia for the honeymoon. I'm quite looking forward to it, as is my lovely lady. We've spent the last few months of 2008 remodeling the house after my former roommate and his wife were married and moved out. It turned out great, even as there's more to do (immediately after I finish posting this, and beyond). We hope to show it off to friends by the end of January.

I thought about closing this blog at this point, as I seem to have less to say that I care to share with the world. In the week of Christmas that I was isolated from the internet, I can't say that I missed it much, and I've already given my opinion about enough topics to fill a syllabus. Time is a lot more precious to me these days, and if I'm going to spend it writing, I want it to be writing "work", that is, the type of writing that I went to school for: poetry, stories, screenplays, maybe I'll eventually get to one of those novels in my head.

But I decided not to take the blog down, because who knows what the future holds? I may not want to post once a month, or even once a year, but there will still be things I want to say, and this forum is all mine. Why give it up entirely if I don't have to? I've always been one who prefers to open doors, not close them. That hasn't changed, and I hope it never will. An open door is an invitation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woah. Google "Austin Road Productions" and you end up here!