Sunday, December 12, 2004

Learning curve

Today we shot at a photo studio, and the steer showed up for a little fun. Cars would occasionally honk as they drove by us, as if to say hello. We were set up in the front and side parking lots, and of course any honks or catcalls would've ruined the audio if we'd been taping any, but we weren't most of the time.

I'm really starting to realize just how great an opportunity this position has been for me. I'm working with people who know what they're doing, and learning fast all kinds of skills I didn't have before. For instance, things I know now that I didn't before starting shooting:

1) How to set up and break down C-stands, rolling stands large and small, and American stands.
2) How to quickly assemble and disassemble a spider dolly and its track.
3) How to set up butterflies and nets on their frames, and shiny boards and flags on stands.

I'm sure there are classes at UT lasting entire semesters that teach young film students this stuff, and here I am learning for free and getting hands-on experience with a wide range of good, working equipment (we even had a gib arm, but we didn't use it). I'm very fortunate to have this opportunity. I wasn't a neophyte when it came to productions-I had experience setting up lights with scrims and filters, for example-but I feel a lot more knowledgeable about what goes into making a movie set work. After all, my entire background was in video, which has its own requirements but is nothing like shooting on film. Earlier I wrote that I never wanted to work with film again (this was after two days of getting rained out). I take it back. I wouldn't mind working with film again, as long as I could 1) get paid, and 2) surround myself with competent people who know their jobs. We should all be so lucky.

No comments: