Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Opportunity

So I'm taking a new job soon. It looks pretty cool, doing some of the same stuff I did in Dallas, so I'm reasonably certain I'll be good at it. It's informal dress, a friendly staff, and I'm told no micro-managing. We get a free massage every other week. The jobs that are hardest to get are the easiest ones to take.

Work is such a major part of most Americans' lives. It's one of the reasons we've been so successful economically for so long, but I can't help but think we would be capable of living lives just as full and just as well off with a 35-hour work week, or even a 30-hour work week. It would probably mean a net increase in standard of living across the board, and maybe people wouldn't have so many heart attacks.

What would we do with all that extra time?, I hear some ask. Friends, family, learning, blogging, working a second job, the list is endless. Whatever we want (although more TV would not be on my list). That's what I wish for: the choice.

No comments: