Friday, April 29, 2005

Production and consumption

I've had the experience lately of going to most of the blogs I read regularly and being disappointed that nobody was updating. I thought to myself, "Well, I guess I'm not updating either." When you're blogging, you get the experience of being both an audience and a producer. I'm assuming few if any bloggers only post and never read other blogs.

Artists and entertainers (Are any types of entertainers not artists? Any nominations?) regularly get feedback and the knowledge that their work is being consumed and evaluated, whether that be positive or negative, by people they do not now and will probably never know. It comes with the job. But I wonder, is this a new experience for thousands (or millions) of people?

I'm sure there's a lot of overlap between creative people who've put themselves out there before the internet and those who are now blogging, but I wonder how many people are creating a public persona for themselves for the first time outside of their circle of friends, work, and family? When someone on the other side of the planet sends you an email or posts a comment on your blog to share an experience, correct a mistake you've made, or expand on an idea, your world gets smaller and more connected. It can also be a spur to keep you going.

Every time bloggers sit down at their computers, they have the opportunity to either consume or produce. Unlike watching television, with blogging it's a lot harder to complain there's nothing on when you've got the power at your fingertips to create your own show.

No comments: