Sunday, April 17, 2005

Talking Social Security

I started editing my first full-length feature this week, and I've got a month to do it in, along with working full time, so I don't have as much time to write as I like for the near future. Still, I can't resist quoting Vern's take on the "conversation" over Social Security private accounts, which you can check out in its entirety here.
BUSH: I propose that we change RED traffic lights to BLUE!

DEMOCRATS: That's ridiculous, blue is too close to green, people would get confused. And why do we need to change it anyway? You're not making any sense at all.


BUSH: There you go again, criticizing my plan without offering an alternative.

DEMOCRATS: The alternative is to NOT change red to blue. Keep it red.

BUSH: That's not an alternative. That's what it already is, red.

DEMOCRATS: We don't want to change it to blue, there is no reason to.

BUSH: No reason? Innocent Americans are killed in traffic accidents every day! They should be changed to blue! Also I propose that we won't wear any pants!

DEMOCRATS: Not w-- you said not wear pants? I don't--

BUSH: Once again, the democrats are criticizing my not wearing any pants plan without offering an alternative.

DEMOCRATS: But... the alternative is... wearing pants.

BUSH: That's not an alternative. An alternative is like, we'll wear shorts, or we'll wear clownpants or something. I already said no pants.

DEMOCRATS: I don't... are you-- I mean I guess we could pull them down part way or something.
While this is laugh out loud funny, I'd just like to note that Bush says he wants private accounts to avoid raising taxes in the distant future, whenever Social Security "runs out". Meanwhile, his plan would cost something like $2 trillion to implement. Where's he going to find that money without raising taxes now? Borrow it all? That is the option that is not on the table, which America is letting him know by opposing him on this issue by a large margin.

No comments: