Sunday, April 03, 2005

Show me the scenery

So I saw Sin City yesterday, after an hour and a half of trying to get to a theater that was showing it less than an hour after my arrival, which proved to be a tall order when they had the upper deck of I-35 shut down and an accident on the lower deck.

I've gotta say, I was disappointed by the movie. There were good parts, and most of the characters were very well-drawn, but I think it suffered from being too loyal to the comics-and I say that as someone who hasn't read them, so I'm not nitpicking the differences here. I think it fails simply as a movie. I like film noir, I like comic books, I like violent movies, and I'm a twenty-something male, so this movie was aimed straight at me, but I couldn't help but feel it fell short.

I think Vern hit the nail on the head in his review, when he wrote "Dick Tracy is to Sin City as Nick Nolte is to Nick Nolte's mugshot." No matter how impressive the effects, I rarely bought the world that all those computers constructed, and it felt like a cartoon from beginning to end. Regardless of whether that was the intention, it didn't work for me.

Elijah Wood plays one hell of a creepy villain, though, and Bruce Willis has still got that stoic honor beneath the tough-skinned wiseass quality that he's been riding since Die Hard. Keep it up, fellas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe you didn't like it so much. I've heard nothing but positives. I guess I'll have to check it out for myself.
Ramzi