Sunday, May 08, 2005

Proms and problems

Tonight I went to the KVRX prom, thrown by UT's student radio station. I've met quite a few people there through Phil, so I recognized half a dozen or so faces. This wasn't a real prom obviously, but it had all the trappings: dancing, spiked punch, photos, dresses. It also had free beer, a live band, and a few kids tripping on acid, which made it a bit different from either of the proms I attended.

It started raining about halfway through, but not too hard, so the band finished their set before Phil and I packed up the video equipment we were using to project Pump Up the Volume on the wall of Irongate Studios, in whose parking lot the prom was held.

Did I mentioned it rained a little bit? Less than a mile from home, Phil tried to make a turn too fast on the wet road and hit the curb hard (he wasn't drinking-he's a teetotaler). It didn't blow out the tire, but when we stopped at a tire place right around the corner, I thought I could hear a hissing sound and the hubcap was broken, so it's definitely shot. We left the car there to see what the damage is Monday, when they open. I just hope the axle isn't bent, or else he's out some money, since his insurance won't cover it.

While he was waiting for me to walk back to the apartment, get my car, and come back for the equipment in his trunk, there was a wreck at the stoplight closest to our place. As I drove by, the cops hadn't yet arrived, but the two cars had spun into position to block both directions on that side of the intersection. Rough night.

I told Phil I knew exactly how he felt, having cut my finger a few months back, when I was still looking for work. No job, no insurance, and it's going to cost you a bunch of money you don't want to spend. That's life for you. Always throwing curve balls.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

correction:
"no job, no insurance, and it's going to cost you a bunch of money...that's life"-- IN THE U.S.! where we don't care for the well-being of our own people! i have so much debt to austin hospitals. i will never get over the difference in healthcare systems. never. it's completely befuddling.
it sucks about phil's car, but at least it wasn't ya'll in the crash down the street. i'm glad no one got hurt.
i LOVE pump up the volume. i have the soundtrack on cassette and cd, but not all the songs are on it, which sucks.

DB said...

Yeah, it could have been a lot worse, but it looks like the car's totaled. It's funny how I saw it coming what seems like a long time before we actually hit, and you think "What if I had done something differently? Could we have avoided this?" But there's always the possibility if he'd swerved or whatever we would've killed someone, so it's better to just put it behind you.

DB said...

I spoke too soon. Phil says they're going to fix his car, hopefully in time for him to drive it to summer camp.