Saturday, June 18, 2005

Big project

I got out in the heat today, probably mid- to high-90's, for about three hours. A couple of months ago, I came up with the idea of documenting Austin's many murals by driving around and photographing them. Then, I would post the photographs on a website, including their locations so other interested Austinites could find any they liked.

Well, I underestimated the size of this project. In that three-hour session today, I took about 40 pictures at eleven different sites, and only covered the area of East Austin from Town Lake to Cesar Chavez, i.e., 1st Street. This is likely to take all summer, if I want to come close to getting all of them.

Interestingly, many of the murals were on school grounds or city pool buildings. Also, the Twin Towers burning was a common theme, meaning they were painted in just the last few years. I'm sure some of them are painted over repeatedly every few years, and some of them had been defaced, but others likely have been around for a long time.

I'm also considering trying to get a grad student studying art to provide some perspective on them to put on the site. Maybe I could post for this on Craigslist.

No comments: