Sunday, June 26, 2005

Discovering your own backyard

I spent another 4 hours today driving around East Austin taking photos of murals, and a few others I couldn't resist, like the one below of the city skyline. There's all kinds of stuff on the east side you never hear about. Last week, I came across the power plant and Town Lake access, today I saw the city bus facility, the Austin Police headquarters, the French Legation museum, the Texas State Cemetery, and Huston-Tillotson University. As you'll see in the pics, there are some serious hills over there, and some of the older houses I came across actually appeared to have slid off their foundations.

I took a turn and suddenly found myself on a gravel road leading to the scenic over look where I took the pictures above and below this post. There's nothing there but trees, grass, and sadly, broken beer bottles and garbage. It's at least a couple acres of undeveloped land, great for sitting in the sun, or as a man and woman I saw today were doing, napping in the shade on a blanket.

No comments: