Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Fun with fruit

OK, I'm not usually one to bag on terrible song lyrics, having written a few myself, but every once in a while I can't help it. Right now, the stupidest lyrics on the radio, which get stuck in my head until I want to put a drill to my temple, are from Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl". Until I looked them up to be sure what I was hearing, they sounded even dumber than they are, but they're still dumb enough.

I defy anyone hearing this song for the first time not to go "Huh?" when, towards the end of the song, it turns into a commercial for a certain type of fruit. That's right, the words to the part in question are:

Let me hear you say this shit is bananas
B-A-N-A-N-A-S
(This shit is bananas)
(B-A-N-A-N-A-S)

Again
This shit is bananas
B-A-N-A-N-A-S
(This shit is bananas)
(B-A-N-A-N-A-S)

The radio version censors out the profanity, so it sounds like she's singing "Eat bananas", then spelling it out as shown above. Hurray for the English language. Somebody call Dave Barry.

No comments: