Monday, May 01, 2006

Man about town

I spent about an hour at Eeyore's birthday party on Saturday. It was interesting. When I first got near it, I thought it was a little like ACL, but after about ten seconds I realized how different it was. It was also a little like that Mardi Gras party I went to, Carnaval. There were lots of hippies and at least four drum circles, none of which stopped while I was there. It was a different kind of crowd than you see just about anywhere, at least in my experience.

Meanwhile, I had to replace my new computer chair, since one of the thin plastic arms that held it together broke in two places. I didn't realize this when I bought it, but like several others at Fry's the chair that broke was designed such that the arms were the load-bearing support between the back and the seat, which is not a smart design when you're using cheap plastic for the arms. Needless to say, when I turned it in for a replacement, I picked one that had a metal plate connecting the back and seat with a bunch of screws.

My roommate's got a new job, while continuing to work on his final Master's report. There's a bus that runs from right across the street from our place to right next to where he works, so he hasn't been driving his car much lately, or riding his bike, the preferred method of travel. I haven't ridden my bike since last spring, I think. Too bad, but riding a mountain bike on the road is harder than I remembered.

I watched the entire British TV series The Office over the weekend. It was quite good, if squirm-inducing at times. They pulled one of the more perfect endings I've seen to a sitcom, as well. I don't watch the American version, since I don't watch TV much at all anymore, but I did write a short spoof that incorporated elements of office culture, which I'll probably revise and try to shoot this year.

No comments: