Friday, November 12, 2004

Hot and cold

Well, I survived today's shoot, and in fact we didn't unload much of the equipment from the truck at all. It seems a lot of it was to combat the sun for lighting purposes, but the sun never showed itself. It's so cold here now that the underwater shoot tomorrow might be called off entirely, since getting in the water may be a health hazard. I was asked several times today if I was freezing, since I have a shaved head and was wearing no hat. My response, as usual, was that I'm from Indiana, so I'm used to much worse. I wonder if my tolerance for cold weather will gradually diminish over time, as my tolerance for hot Texas summers improves.

My first Texas summer was in Dallas, in 1999. The year before, as I recall, was called the "100 days of 100 degrees". The 1999 summer was probably just as bad, and as luck would have it, the air conditioner in the car I was driving went out. I had to take it in twice to get the problem fixed, over the course of two or three weeks. The morning drive in to work wasn't too bad, but the drive home in the afternoon took about 45 minutes, and even with the windows down, by the time I got home I was covered in sweat and felt exhausted. Most years since have been milder, and for that I'm thankful.

No comments: