Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Welcome

This is my first time using a blog. I've been reading a few for several months, and it looks easy and fun, so here I am. My hope is that writing in this space every day will help me flex those muscles so I can get back to writing other things. It worked back in February 2004, when I took off on a road trip that saw me in every Western state. I'll probably post the journal I kept on that trip here in daily increments, if anyone expresses interest.

I used to think of myself as a writer, when I studied writing in college. Then I got a job in accounting for four and a half years in Dallas, and I thought of myself as an accountant. It's not easy to write when you're an accountant. Not that it can't be done, but the skill sets don't line up so much. I did very little writing in that time period, a few songs, a short screenplay, and a short story.

Now that I live in Austin, I shoot video occasionally and read a lot. I'm trying to flip those two around, and I have hopes for a position at INdTV, a new satellite TV station coming next year that will supposedly feature a brand new way of presenting the news, and cover topics the other broadcasts won't touch, or at least go into enough for us to understand. If I get a correspondent position with them, I'll be shooting lots of video. But I hope I'll be writing again by that time, and this is as good a start as any.

No comments: