Saturday, November 13, 2004

Roads not traveled by

The shoot scheduled for today was canceled, but on the bright side I got a hold of the rental company and cleared up some questions. It rained for about five minutes at one point, and it's no warmer today than it was yesterday. Winter has finally arrived in Texas.

I took a couple of courses in FrontPage, and am continuing to teach myself in order to maybe get some work as a web designer. It doesn't seem to be too hard, but as I have no HTML experience, I have to rely on the program more than I'd like. When I do view the code, I seem to be able to figure out the gist of it, and I've altered this blog some, but if something went wrong I doubt I could fix it.

I sometimes look back at my education and wonder what I would have done different if I knew then where I'd be today. The answer is everything and nothing. If I'd taken a computer science major instead of English, I'd probably still be stuck in a cubicle today, like I was for "five years of my mid-20's", as the Michael Bolton character in Office Space put it. Plus, my poli sci major's classes wouldn't have overlapped enough, like they did with English, for me to have gotten that degree either. Communications would have been closer, but those jobs are just as hard to come by from what I've seen, and fetching coffee at a TV station isn't really up my alley. My college experience was what it was - an experience. I learned a lot, some of which I can apply to my life and some of which I can't. I'm sure it's the same with most people. The most valuable thing higher education can teach us is how to teach ourselves, because nobody knows what curveballs life's going to throw at us. If we have the tools to learn quickly and effectively when we graduate, it was worth the investment.

No comments: