Friday, November 26, 2004

Modern art in Houston

Just got back from Thanksgiving with my roommate P's family at his aunt and uncle's place in Houston. It was lots of fun, with plenty of good food. I got in some quality reading time, too, which always makes me happy when I'm traveling. We stopped by the Houston MFA and contemporary art museum, although we only went in the latter. It had lots of multimedia exhibits in addition to the paintings, which makes for a somewhat more varied experience. For instance, there was an old bed springs on the floor hooked up to a guitar amp, so when you touched it, the sound of the springs came out strong and distorted. Downstairs, there was a video of a young woman wearing headphones and dancing around Times Square, New York, and various random people would walk up and join her. The point of it stemmed from the fact that the music in her headphones was different from the music the bystanders heard through speakers she placed on the sidewalk, and she wanted to show people can still connect while dancing to different tunes. A lot of the stuff in there didn't seem like anything I couldn't come up with, but then I haven't, so I guess there's a drive to these artists I need to work on cultivating.

No comments: