Friday, February 16, 2007

Travel Diary - Day 1

February 17, 1997 - July 5, 1997
U.S. - Australia - New Zealand

Date: 2/16/97
Weather: cloudy, snow in Chicago
Place: Cincinnati, Chicago, L.A.

I was so worried about missing my flight to Hawaii because of the threat of American Airlines' pilots' strike, that I went and did it anyway. (Author's note: this pending strike was making the news every night at the time, but it was resolved, at least for the purposes of my trip, when President Clinton ordered the would-be strikers to work as a temporary measure.) It was almost a relief to finally have it resolved one way or the other. I must have subconsciously wanted to see L.A. I spent the night in a Holiday Inn where I got a discounted room with a "distressed passenger" coupon. I fell asleep a little after 10:00pm L.A. time. At least this way the flight gets broken up. I got a king-size bed, too.

No comments: