Sunday, February 18, 2007

What goes around

I recently had my car in the shop, and when I left my key I didn't give them the keyless entry remote. I didn't notice until I got the car home, but when they gave me the key back there was a remote on the keychain for some other car. I decided, rather than thowing it in the trash, I would return it to the shop (an hour's drive each way in rush hour traffic, which would be the only time I could get there that they were open) so they could try to get it to the owner.

The next day, I didn't make it to the shop because I had other plans. That night, I also realized that I had forgotten a nice toolkit and jumper cables I always keep in my car and left them in the rental I was using when I turned it in at Enterprise the day before. I called and left a message at the branch asking if anyone had reported them.

The following morning, I got a phone call that my toolkit and jumper cables were in the office waiting for me. As that branch is right down the road from the shop, I could kill two birds with one stone and drop off the remote. I called the shop to let them know, drove up there, and handed it over. They didn't say they were missing it, so I doubt it had been reported, but they seemed happy to get it back.

Then I drove over to Enterprise and picked up my stuff, intact except for a missing can of fix-a-flat, which I won't miss. It was always rolling around in the trunk anyway. I was feeling good karma.

No comments: