Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Travel Diary - Day 25

Date: 6/26/97
Weather: partly sunny, showers
Place: Auckland, Waitomo

I got up with my wakeup call and packed, then got another 20 minutes sleep. When I got up again, I made a cup of coffee and got a call that my ride was there. In my haste, I left my voucher on the bed and had to have the nice innkeeper fax a copy to the hostel where I met the bus to give to the driver, then send the original to the central office in town. I read a lot, before and after the bus broke down, and had Burger King for lunch. We reached Waitomo at 2:30pm, where we moved into the hostel and went black water rafting. I can never describe the beauty of that cave, or how cold the water was. I felt like I was witnessing the birth of galaxies represented by the glow worms. The showers scalded, and the rainforest walk afterward was great by candlelight.

No comments: