Saturday, February 05, 2005

Film work continued

Today was one of the best days of shooting that we've had. We actually got all the shots we wanted, for one thing. Also, I had enough help loading and unloading the truck, we had lots of actors singing the Internationale, waving a big flag, playing trumpet, throwing rose petals (from a rooftop!), and unfurling a banner of Che Guevara. And lunch was good, too.

At this point, I'm an experienced hand at making a film shoot work. Now, if only I could get someone to pay me to do it, I'd be in good shape. Radio Mike told me it's possible to make a living as a P.A. (production assisant) in Los Angeles, and I know I could do that because I've done at least a little of almost everything. I just don't know if that's something I really want to do. L.A. is a pretty rough town, and I love Austin. I just wish there was more opportunity here.

The problem, of course, is that many of the people who come here from all over the world end up liking the town so much they want to stay after graduating. That, coupled with the fact that if you're slick enough you can get students to work for free, means the market is saturated with talent. One crew member I was talking with said he wishes the people here would get serious and not be so laid back about working in film, so we could really get productions happening and build a reputation here to lure work from L.A., but I wonder how much that might change the nature of Austin, which is already in the middle of a gentrifying drift toward the norm. Many people here cling tightly to the "Keep Austin Weird" motto, and there's such a good feeling of acceptance and youth here, for anyone and everyone. I'd hate to see that disappear entirely.

No comments: