Tuesday, February 22, 2005

R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

The obituaries are coming fast and furious for Hunter S. Thompson, who apparently shot himself in his kitchen at the age of 67. His writing was one of a kind.

I first read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas over one summer during my college years, and it blew me away. The movie, starring Johnny Depp, was released my senior year, and I loved it. Thompson was wickedly funny, aggressively insightful, and at times unexpectedly moving. In fact, he might not appreciate the sentiment to "rest in peace", given his propensity for actively taking part in any given story.

If anything ever does happen with INdTV or its offshoots, they could do worse than devoting a show to his style of gonzo journalism. On the other hand, it's unlikely we'll ever find another writer capable of filling his shoes. If you'll excuse me, there's a copy of The Great Shark Hunt I need to get back to.

No comments: