Monday, February 28, 2005

New faces, old places

I helped tape Maggie Walters for Local Live on 91.7 KVRX last night. I've talked with her a few times now, and she's a real sweetie. She'll be playing South by Southwest in a few weeks, and she has a beautiful voice, so I won't be surprised if she gets big fast. It doesn't hurt that she's pretty easy on the eyes, either.

My roommate produces the TV version of the show and I help him out sometimes, so I've met a few bands that way and seen some interesting performances over the last year. The music scene here is so rich it's not hard to find talented people to play the show, and in fact very few bands that submit their work are offered the gig. Scott H. Biram released his Local Live show as a CD, and Local Live also puts out compilations, one of which was called "It Came From the Basement". Appropriate, since it's actually recorded in a basement, although that won't be true next semester, when they move so the building can be demolished.

Hopefully, I'll get to see Maggie's SXSW show next month. She'll be performing with her band at that one, and when they played Cactus Cafe the place was packed for a reason.

No comments: