Sunday, February 27, 2005

Hair today,...

I shaved off most of my facial hair today, and I shaved my head yesterday after several weeks of letting it grow out. It was more out of laziness than anything else that I let it get so long, but the fact is I like to change how I look about once a year. For whatever reason, I get bored with looking the same way for long periods of time. For most of a year now, I've been shaving my head and growing a Van Dyke (commonly and incorrectly referred to as a goatee), which I've been told makes me look a bit like wrestler "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, to which I would add "without all the muscles."

When I was growing up, my dad was always clean-shaven. Then, about ten years ago now, he started growing a moustache, which he's kept ever since. As a little boy, I would stand on the bathroom counter and watch him shave, and he took the blades out of a disposable razor and gave it to me to go through the motions along with him, complete with shaving cream. There's a funny picture of me doing this in one of our photo albums.

I was going through some pictures today and was surprised by just how differently I kept my hair from year to year as a teenager. I guess it's just a character trait I've kept even as I lost a lot of my hair over the last half-decade or so. In Spanish class, my teacher called me "Dόgo Pelo" because she thought my hair looked different every day. This, however, was simply due to the fact that my hair was extremely curly and I didn't spend a lot of time on it in the mornings.

Anyway, so long to the scary biker look.

No comments: