Monday, February 21, 2005

Notes from the Road - Day 23

2/21/04 6:00pm San Diego, CA

Today was a little driving and a lot of getting over a hangover. I got out of bed around noon and walked next door to a bar to get something to eat. A woman there was playing guitar for a crowd of about five patrons and two bartenders. She had long, curly, blonde hair and was very good. I tipped her a dollar when I left. She frequently addressed several of the others, so I think she must have known them. She played a cover of “Wish You Were Here.” I wish I’d gotten her name.

I could only eat about half of the food, so I took the rest in a box back up to the hostel refrigerator and labeled it “For Anybody”. Guy was up, so I told him so long, turned in my sheets, and checked out. I was on the road by 2:30pm. It didn’t take too long to reach the San Diego county line, but it was another hour before I reached the city.

I found a hostel in an outer suburb and opted for a single room this time, for some privacy. The young woman manning the high security booth at the door locked it up to give me the tour and show me to my room. There doesn’t seem to be much of anybody here, and it’s still raining. I went to bed about 6:30pm with no supper and woke up periodically the rest of the night, leaving the lights on in the room.

No comments: