Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Travel Diary - Day 12

Date: 3/28/97
Weather: sunny and warm, a bit of rain
Place: Great Barrier Reef

I was woken up at 6:00am by a knock on my door. We didn't go in at 5:30 am because of choppy weather. The reef is absolutely pristine. It is the most pure place I have yet seen. In the Grampian Mountains there were metal handrails and steps in some places, along with a a bit of litter, but not here. Our two dives in the morning finished our education and Paul certified us. He left the boat at 2:30pm without giving me my temporary certification because I was in my cabin resting. I saw my first shark today. It was incredible, at only 1 meter long. The night dive was a trip, too. I saw a crayfish with glowing red eyes at one point and another guy said he saw a shark's eyes. The divemasters joke about sharks a lot.

No comments: