Thursday, March 22, 2007

Travel Diary - Day 6

Date: 3/22/97
Weather: cloudy and cool, hot and muggy
Place: Melbourne, Brisbane

I got up at 5:01am in order to make the Skybus from Spencer St. Station at 6:00am, which in turn was to get me to my 7:05am flight to Cairns. There was no milk left so I didn't get any coffee at the college (Author's note: in Australia, "college" means dormitory). I began by walking but got a cab when I got to Lonsdale for fear I'd miss my bus. I got on the plane, which served breakfast, just fine, until we were called off at Brisbane, where we were told that Cyclone Justin was hitting the coast at Cairns and the airport was shut down. I found a great hostel in Brisbane near the South Park Gardens which had an even better Australian fauna exhibit than Melbourne Zoo. It cost $12 for a ticket that also included a butterfly house and a very relaxing boat ride. After about five hours, I ate my third Australian meat pie in three weeks, bought a postcard and left. The hostel showed Barb Wire that night.

No comments: